Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Yoga Healing and Meditation

For thousands of years now people have been practicing Yoga. It started and India and used to be only for the men. However, now it can be practiced today by anybody anywhere.

My entire family has been practicing it for about 3 years now and I have personally been practicing for about 2 years.

If you want to lose weight, have muscle or bone problems, arthritis, want to be more flexible, or virtually any other ailment, Yoga can help. Through meditation and the practice comes healing. I'll give a personal example, my mother had problems with her right shoulder and she would often have shooting pain. Since she started doing Yoga 3 years ago all of her pain and all of her joint problems disappeared. It seems strange, but it is true. I'll give you another example, my step-father had knee and shoulder problems 3 years ago and now they are gone. These are just a few of the miracles Yoga has performed on my family. There really is no way to explain it, you just need to try it.

Most people think it is just stretching and meditation and really not too much activity. If you are a believer of this rumor then I encourage you to try it and see for yourself. It is hard and you get sweaty. If there is a Yoga studio near you I am sure that they will offer you a free trial class for you to really see.

The benefits you reap are also amazing. There is really nothing else out there quite like it. Included in your practice you will see results:

  • Weight Loss
  • More Energy
  • Total Body Healing
  • Flexibility
  • Better Coordination

In addition, you learn to control your mind because the entire duration of the class, you are meditating and using your mind. It really does a great job at integrating both mind and body. The practice has been around for almost eight thousand years. It can be practiced by anyone of any age. I have seen people from 10 years old to 84 years old practicing and what some people can do will amaze you. Yoga will also teach you to treat others with compassion. Being nice to people allows you to accept yourself and feel good about yourself and your actions.

The other day, I was driving and I honked at somebody because I was in the middle of a left turn and the person in front of me was not moving. Immediately after that the passenger in the vehicle gave me the finger and continued to do so as long as I was next to him. For what? I was wondering why he did this for a while and it got me thinking. Why are people so mean to others in this world? What is the point? Just to stir up more anger and frustration? People must live with compassion with one another, otherwise we will destroy ourselves. That is why being nice and compassionate to others is so essential, not because it is "the right thing to do", but because it allows us to live together peacefully.

I also found a great book for an intro to a yoga program that outlines the basics click here for more details.

No comments: